Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Zimbabwean Hyperinflation

This link is to a CNN article announcing Zimbabwe's latest move to combat hyperinflation, which is to slash zeros off of it's currency's value, 12 to be exact. 

I liked this article very much, because it reminded me of how my own econ professor explained the situation to us, by showing an unusually large rightward shift in the money supply on a supply/demand graph for money. His ensuing explanation, "Mugabe does this every Thursday" along with his tone made me crackle, seeing as such a move is utterly absurd, and reduces interest rates to levels that will undoubtedly cause such absurd amounts of inflation. 

I pulled this off of Gregory Mankiw's Blog, a Harvard Economist, whose blog I read religiously, and I recommend you all do as well, in addition to your daily dosage of B.S. Free Economics. 

No comments: